Friday, December 3, 2010

Good Sushi, Great Price

Located at the previous 50's diner known as Spanky's, Fong Asian Dining and Sushi is nothing like its predecessor.  Yes, the look can be deceiving considering that nothing about the building if anything has changed except the name, but the quality of food is far superior from the previous place.  Since this was my first time here, I asked the waitress what she recommended.  "The Bento Boxes are good," she said, "but I also like the Honey Walnut Shrimp and the Nine Flavor Beef.  I think the sweetness of the honey acts as a great compliment to the shrimp."  The Bento Boxes are a great deal (as noted on other reviews here), but I had heard that their sushi is also good and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have some good shrimp.  So I ordered both the Honey Walnut Shrimp and a Philly roll.

Surprisingly, the Philly came out very quickly.  True, there were only three tables occupied, but I've been at sushi places where I was the only one and still had to wait 15-20 minutes for my roll.  This came out in 2-3.  Not the best roll I've ever had, but for $7 it wasn't all that bad, either.  The Philly consists of smoked salmon, cream cheese, avocado, and sesame seeds.  The rather large chunks of cream cheese overpowered the sushi but the other tastes were there as well.  If it wasn't for the fact that it is only $7 I probably wouldn't order it again.  As it is, I'd have to weigh it with others.

The honey walnut shrimp, on the other hand, is definitely something I will get again.  Fair warning, though, this is really sweet (and I mean really).  I'm one who has a big sweet tooth, but I had to take some home to finish it later because the sweetness was too much.  To make it they start out with a base of crispy rice noodles, add tempura shrimp coated in honey butter and top it off with walnuts.  They must cook the walnuts with something (perhaps honey roasted?) because they are also crispy.  And they add a side of rice as well which helps counteract the sweetness of the honey shrimp.  I always like to order shrimp but am constantly disappointed because I hardly get any at an expensive price.  The price on this was more than their average menu item, but for shrimp it was pretty cheap (only $10.95).  And it came out with quite a bit of shrimp.  This is definitely worth the price and something I would like to get again.


All in all, it was a very good experience.  I thought our waitress was really helpful and did a great job of keeping my glass filled; I also thought the food was excellent and comes at a great price.  The 50's diner setting is a little weird for Chinese food, but that's easily overlooked.  This is definitely a place I will recommend and look forward to going to again.

Fong Asian Dining & Sushi on Urbanspoon