Friday, December 10, 2010

Good Philly's at Chubby's Cafe

Review
I seriously thought this was a lawn tractor store.  Or a repair shop.  I've driven past this place for years thinking it was a warehouse or some other such item until one day, out of the corner of my eye, I caught the word "Wings" frosted on a window.  In checking out Urbanspoon I noticed that Chubby's Cafe is much more than just a wing shop -- it's also a burger joint and offers southern food.  Finally the day arrived that the lunch crew decided to give this place a try.  Driving up to the location I realized that underneath the tractor repair shop facade existed a rustic eating establishment.



This informal barbecue / burger / wings / southern cooking restaurant offers good tasting food at a great price.  Today I went with the Philly Cheese steak and the beer battered fries.  This Philly comes with thinly sliced rib-eye, swiss cheese, pepper jack cheese, green and red bell peppers, and a horse radish mayonnaise.  The bun was soft, the meat was greasy and perfect, the cheese and horse radish offered a great variety to the taste of the Philly and introduces a uniqueness that sets this cheese steak apart from others.  The beer battered fries started out tasting very good, but as they went along the taste became a little too much and they ended up being difficult to finish, but they are something I will order again even if they cost $0.50 extra.


All in all, the Philly was pretty good.  However, the swiss and pepper jack although creative alternatives are not my favorite cheeses on a Philly; I'm more of a provolone or cheese whiz guy myself.  I've had better Phillys, but I was still very impressed with the eating establishment and will definitely have to come here again sometime.  Not only is the food good, but the service was great and the staff really offered some southern hospitality.  Definitely worth a repeat.


Big John Rating
Quality = 8
Taste = 7
Service = 8
Ambiance = 9
Price = 8.3
Big John Rating = 8.0


Notable URLs
Chubby's Cafe Facebook Page
Wings -N- Things Critique

Chubby's Cafe on Urbanspoon