Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Not the Greatest but Very Good

I wonder if they came up with the name "coop" before or after they chose their location.




It is a small place, but they put the small space to good use.  One large screen TV faces you immediately upon entering and two smaller ones are in the corners behind you.  The tables are arranged to fit several in the small seating area; anymore and it would start feeling very cramped.  As it is, though, I didn't feel at all claustrophobic.

When going to order, they have a display of all their different sauces off to the side to assist in determining the proper one.  Today it was just me and one other individual, so we went with the Wednesday special which consisted of 20 wings, 2 drinks, and a large fry all for $15.  I gotta say -- that is a very good price for what you're getting.  It's not every day you get wings for less than a buck much less fries and two drinks.  Plus with the 20 wings you can choose four different sauces.  My friend chose two and I chose the Confucius and the Kansas City BBQ.




That is a good amount of fries and food for two people.  I'm a guy who likes to try new things but I'm also very partial to the tried and proven, hence I kept it safe with the Kansas City BBQ and tried the new Confucius.  First the Kansas City BBQ.




The first thing I noticed about the sauce is the thinness of it.  I prefer thick sauces especially with something like the Kansas City, but this one just wasn't thick enough for me.  One thing it does do is make the sauce noticeable but not overwhelming; however, I like the majority of my sauce on the chicken wing and not in the container.  I thought the wings in general could use a bit more time in the fryer.  The just weren't cooked enough for my preference.  Despite those two items (which applies to all of their wings by the way), the Kansas City BBQ lived up to the rest of its expectations.  It is a sweeter sauce, not at all spicy, and tastes great.



The next sauce I had was the Confucius.  From the moment I saw the seeds on top of the wing I knew it was going to be a good sauce and now it is one of my favorites.  This one has a good ginger taste to it which I thought was a pleasant surprise and really went well with the wing.  I normally wouldn't think of a ginger wing as being something worth remembering, but this definitely was.  Again, I would have liked it thicker, but I wouldn't want it too thick because the lightness of sauce is part of what makes the sauce.

All in all, would I come back here again -- yes.  Would I recommend it -- definitely.  Next time, though, I think I'll stick with the Confucius and try another one of their 17 difference sauces.

URL:
Their website.

Their downloadable menu (pdf version).

Wing Coop on Urbanspoon