Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ted and Wally's Ice Cream Shack

Review
Located in the historic Old Market District of Omaha, this is one of a few distinct exceptions to the customary red brick design so prevalent in this area.  It looks like a dive especially when considering the juxtaposition of this building with the others, but it really offers some good ice cream.  The inside is decorated with old ice cream making equipment, an old soda machine, and several paintings on the walls.  The menu is written with a dry erase marker on a white board and items are erased once something sells out.  Because their menu is in a constant state of flux (they rarely have the same menu items day to day), ordering "the usual" is virtually impossible.  This can be considered either a pro or a con depending on if I'm craving something in particular (which does happen on occasion) but really comes in handy if I want to try something new (which usually happens).


An old ice cream maker decoration
sits right next to the ordering counter.
Off of today's menu I tried the lemon cheesecake and the cinnamon nutmeg.  I thought I was going to like the lemon cheesecake and dislike the cinnamon nutmeg, but just the opposite happened.  The biggest complaint I had with the lemon cheesecake is the lack of tartness.  The only way to tell that it was a lemon flavored ice cream is from the yellow coloring.  If it wasn't for the yellow coloring, I would have mistaken it for vanilla.  As it was, my tongue couldn't tell the difference.  However, my experience was completely different with the cinnamon nutmeg.  I was originally worried that the nutmeg or cinnamon would overpower the ice cream, but instead it was a subtle combination that went well with the creaminess of the ice cream.  This was one of two flavors that we purchased by the pint and really enjoyed eating for a few days to come.


In short, Ted and Wallys is one location on my short list of places I always visit when in Omaha.  In fact, this last time I was here there were 11 of us and everyone enjoyed the ice cream of Ted and Wallys.  It's definitely something I will go to again when in Omaha.


Cost and Big John Rating
$3.94 = Two Scoops with tax
Quality = 9
Taste = 8
Service = 8
Ambiance = 8
Price Rating = 8.9
Big John Rating = 8.2


Notable URLs
Facebook Page
Ted & Wally's Ice Cream Shop on Urbanspoon