Monday, January 17, 2011

The Best Reuben I've Ever Had at the Crescent Moon

Review
Not only is it the best, but it is also the only Reuben I've ever liked.  Typically the Reubens I've had usually include one or two very strong tastes with a few hints at other things that never really blend.  For example, the rye bread really stands out and no other flavors tease the palate or the sauerkraut is so strong not even the rye bread can stand up to its overpowering flavor.  I expect more from a sandwich.  I don't buy a sandwich just to eat bread or sour cabbage.  I expect a Ruben just like any other sandwich to have a blend of flavors.  Whether it's corned beef or pastrami, I expect the meat to stand up and blend with the other flavors involved and not bow to the powerhouses at play.


That's exactly what I got when I received my Reuben at the Crescent Moon.  Although no one else was there, the service was disappointingly slow and no one acknowledged us until we flagged someone down.  However, none of that really seemed to matter once I got my Reuben.  This Reuben is the original recipe straight from the Blackstone Hotel just a few steps away (which is arguably the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich).  This Reuben features corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss and 1000 island dressing, plus a couple of other secret ingredients, grilled on marble rye.  The corned beef was tender and the saltiness of the beef really went well with the sandwich.  The marbled rye was noticeable but not so strong it overpowered the sandwich and the sauerkraut didn't stand out.  After eating it, I craved the taste the rest of the day.


Although very hesitant to eat this sandwich (I expected it to be like all the other ones I've ever had), I went away very glad that I had eaten it.  Although initially the service was missing, it did get better after we initially flagged them down.  Overall I was very pleased with the experience and want like to go again, especially for the Reuben.


Cost and Big John Rating
$7.15 = Reuben (without tax)
Ambiance = 9
Taste = 9
Quality = 9
Service = 7
Price Ratio = 8.8
Big John Rating = 8.4


URLs
History on the Reuben
Website
Menu
Crescent Moon on Urbanspoon